The greatest Cricket Sledges of all time
Cricket is a gentleman’s game, but Sledging (from the wiki with examples) makes you think otherwise.
Here are a few examples. [Via] The Lankan
1. Rod Marsh & Ian Botham: When Botham took guard in an Ashes match, Marsh welcomed him to the wicket with the immortal words: “So how’s your wife & my kids?”
2. Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne: As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him
he had Been waiting 2 years for another chance to humiliate him. “Looks like you spent it eating,” Cullinan retorted.
3. Glenn McGrath (bowling to portly Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo Brandes): “Hey
Eddo, why are you so F**ing Fat?” Eddo Brandes:”Because everytime I F*** your mother, she throws me a biscuit”
4. Robin Smith & Merv Hughes:During 1989 Lords Test Hughes said to Smith after he
played & missed:”You can’t f**king bat“. Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to the
boundary: “Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can’t f**king bat & you can’t f**king bowl.” 5. Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad:During 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed called Merv a fat bus
conductor. A few balls later Merv dismissed Javed: “Tickets please“, Merv called out as he ran past the departing batsman.
6. Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:During a test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn’t
say a word to Viv, but continued to stare at him after deliveries. “This is my island, my culture. Don’t you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl.” Merv didn’t reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: “In my culture we just say f**k off.”
7. And of course you can’t forget Ian Healy’s legendary comment that was picked up by the Channel 9 microphones when Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney… “You don’t get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat c**t!!!”
8. James Ormond had just come out to bat on an ashes tour and was greeted by Mark
Waugh…….. MW : “F*ck me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here, there’s no way you’re good enough to play for England”
JO : “Maybe not, but at least i’m the best player in my family”
9. McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara’s d*ck taste like?”
Sarwan: “I don’t know. Ask your wife.”
McGrath (losing it): “If you ever F*&king mention my wife again, I’ll F*ing rip your F*fing throat out.”
10. Mark Waugh standing at second slip, the new player (Adam Parore) comes to the crease playing & missing the first ball. Mark - “Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were sh*t then, you’re fu*king useless now”.Parore- (Turning around) “Yeah, that’s me & when I was there you were going out with that old,
ugly sl*t & now I hear you’ve married her. You dumb c*nt”.
11. Yet another Australian witticism with this time porky Sri Lankan batsman Arjuna
Ranatunga the victim. Shane Warne, trying to tempt the batsman out of his crease mused what it took to get the plump character to get out of his crease and drive.
Wicketkeeper Ian Healy piped up, “Put a Mars Bar on a good length. That should do it.”
12. Ravi shastri v/s the aussie 12th man (don’t remember who, and don’t want to slander
anyone) shastri hits it to this guy and looks for a single…this guy gets the ball in and says “if you leave the crease i’ll break your f***ing head” Shastri: “if you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn’t be the f***ing 12th
13. Malcolm Marshall was bowling to David Boon who had played and missed a couple of
times. Marshall: “Now David, Are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?”
14. Fred Trueman bowling. The batsman edges and the ball goes to first slip,and right between Raman Subba Row’s legs. Fred doesn’t say a word. At the end of the over, Row ambles past Trueman and apologises sheepishly. “I should’ve kept my legs together, Fred”. “So should your mother” he replied.